The roofs of a house give the houses a unique look. The roofs are designed according to the place where the house is being constructed. Straight or V-shaped, it all depends on the location on the globe. Along with this, the roofs must be designed in a way that keeps a home safe from water seepage. If you have a home under construction and it is time for the construction of the roof, it is important that you know all about the roofs.
What are the Roof Shingles?
A very important thing you must know about the aesthetics of the roof is the roof shingles. So, what are roof shingles?
Roof shingles are individual overlapping elements that cover the roofs. The flat and rectangular elements you see on the roofs are the roof shingles. These can be manufactured using many different materials. The materials that are most commonly used to make these roof shingles include; wood, slate, plastic, metal, cement, fiber, composite materials, and flagstone. This type of roofing is used for sloping roofs. These majorly affect the look of your house and are used for decorative purposes as well as safeguarding purposes. These shingles form a barrier that repels snow, ice and most importantly water.
There is a pattern in which these shingles are arranged. Each joint is overlapped by a shingle further up the roof. This arrangement lets the water flow over the shingles and into the gutters or the ground. This does not let the water stay and result in water seepage.
Functions of Roof Shingles:
Roof shingles form a protective barrier for the homes against the water, snow, and ice. Other than this protection it has some other functions as well. the other functions of these roof shingles include:
- Aesthetics: Roof shingles play an important role in the aesthetics of the house. The type of shingles you choose significantly affects the look of your house. You can select the roof shingles according to your budget and style, you can get professional guidance from the professional roofer roofing service providers.
- Utilities: Another function of roof shingles is that these shingles affect the utilities. Different shingles offer different levels of energy efficiency. A lighter color shingle roof keeps the home cool while a dark shade shingle keeps a home warm. The HVAC system is aided through the type of shingles you choose.
- Longevity: The right type of shingles can help you increase the lifetime of your home. High-quality shingles will protect your roofs from seepage and damage while low-quality shingles will not last long and the lifetime will be reduced.
Types of Roof Shingles:
There is numerous style in which you can find roof shingles. Not only do these differ in styles but these also differ in materials. Some of the most commonly used roof shingles include:
- 3-tab: These are the most common type of shingles used in North America. these are the typical flat and rectangular shingles. These are the most affordable and cheap type of roof shingles. You can find these shingles in many different colors.
- Architectural: These are asphalt shingles of the premium type. These shingles are also known as laminated or dimensional roof shingles. Even these are available in many different colors. These shingles are used in roof replacement projects. these shingles are preferred over 3-tab, as these last longer than 3-tab roof shingles.
- Tile: The tile roof shingles are made up of terracotta clay. These were used in historical properties. When people wish to give their homes a vintage and classic look, the tile roof shingles are their choice. these are the most energy efficient roof shingles as compared to 3-yab and architectural.
- Wood: One of the very popular types of roof shingles include the wood roof shingles. These are the oldest types of roof shingles being used in the United States of America. these offer the best insulation at homes.
- Shake: Shake roof shingles are a type of wood roof shingles. These shakes are being used in the United States of America since the colonial times. These shingles have a rustic look as compared to the wood shingles.
- Slate: Slate roof shingles are replacing the traditional wooden roof shingles and shake roof shingles. These shingles are eco-friendly, durable and even fireproof. This creates a stone roof that gives a natural look.
- Solar: Solar roof shingles are one of the latest inventions in the roof shingles. These are just thin-film photovoltaic (PV) cells that are given the look of shingles. These shingles protect the homes just like the other traditional roof shingles.
These are the things that you must know about the shingles when choosing the right shingles for your homes. This information is enough to let you make the right decision.
If you need some more information about shingles, you can contact Boston Roofing and Gutters, and we will provide all the information that you need. Moreover, you can gain the expert help from the best roofers in town. We not only provide the top-quality roof installation and repair services but you can get the expert advice when it comes to making the right roof for your homes.
If you have any questions or queries about our services, feel free to contact us and hit us up with your queries. We will respond to all the questions and queries that we receive. We are quick responders and wish to make the lives of people easier and full of convenience by providing them the top-quality and professional roofing services in Boston.